With Valentine’s Day around the corner, how better to show your undying love for man’s (or woman’s) best friend than with a tasty home-made Valentine’s dog treat?
You already know that highly processed human food such as chocolates, cakes or biscuits – which normally make an appearance at this time of year – are too high in salt, fat, and sugar for your pooch. Instead, armed with some heart-shaped cookie cutters, why not make your own dog-friendly Valentine’s gifts?
Here are some of our favourite ideas:
1. Use oat flour, coconut oil, eggs and applesauce to create cute cookies baked in the oven for just 20 minutes.
2. With pumpkin puree, coconut oil, maple syrup and cinnamon, you can make a dog-friendly icing.
3. Mix strawberries, carob, bananas and yoghurt in the blender, roll them into balls and freeze them for a couple of hours to make a refreshing fruity treat.
4. Combine oats, pumpkin puree, peanut butter and coconut milk to form a dough. Use cookie cutters to create bite-sized treats. Chill them in the fridge for an hour to make the perfect Valentine’s gift.
5. Use beetroot, strawberries, oat flour, and yoghurt to make canine-friendly red velvet cupcakes. Top them off with a cream cheese and yoghurt icing.
As long as you keep processed food out of your baking, and fill your treats full of naturally sweet and healthy ingredients, your four-legged friend will be able to fully indulge in your love tokens this Valentine’s Day.
If you want to know more about how to make tasty and nutritious food for your pooch, why not download our Canine Nutrition Diploma Course?